Fellow in Technology, St. Georges Centre for Biblical and Public Theology
Research Associate, Andreas Center for Reformed Scholarship and Service
Senior Member, IEEE
Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) in the province of Ontario.
Dr. Schuurman worked for several years in industry before spending time in academia. His interest in computers began in his early teens with his first computer, a Timex-Sinclair ZX-81. He is also interested in the bigger picture (metaphorically, not in the number of pixels sense) and the various issues related to faith and technology. He has taught computer science at Redeemer University College as well as Dordt College and has recently accepted a position as a professor of computer science at Calvin College beginning in the fall of 2017. He has also participated in various service projects with computing in developing countries. He is author of the book Shaping a Digital World and is available to speak to groups as time allows.
- B.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
- M.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
Thesis topic: Dynamic modelling of an EV traction application using different DC motors
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering), McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Thesis topic: Direct visual servoing using network-synchronized cameras
Research interests include robotics and computer vision as well as faith and technology issues. Professional memberships include: IEEE (Senior Member), ACMS, SIGCSE, CSCA, and the ASA. See also the Christian Engineering Society.
I am currently serving as a book review editor for Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith covering topics on computers, engineering, and technology.
Some recent publications are listed below, but a more extensive list of publications and presentations are also available.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology, InterVarsity Press, June 2013. (companion website).
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Responsible Automation: Faith and Work in an Age of Intelligent Machines" in The Wonder and Fear of Technology: Commissioned Essays on Faith and Technology, edited by David H. Kim, Center for Faith & Work, 2016, pp. 42-56.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Approaches to Christian Education: From Elusive Towards a Larger and Deeper Approach", Pro Rege, Vol. 44, No. 3, March, 2016, pp. 14-20. (Downloads: 786)
Steven H. VanderLeest and Derek C. Schuurman,
"A Christian Perspective on Artificial Intelligence: How Should Christians Think about Thinking Machines?",
Proceedings of the 2015 Christian Engineering Conference (CEC), Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA, June 2015, pp. 91-107.
This article has since been translated into Portuguese under the title "Uma Perspectiva Cristã Sobre a Inteligência Artificial: Como Cristãos Devem Pensar Sobre Máquinas que Pensam?" (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Introducing Open Source and the Raspberry Pi to Schools in Developing Nations", Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Volume 67, Number 1, March 2015, pp. 50-53.
Derek C. Schuurman, "Step-by-step design and simulation of a simple CPU architecture", SIGCSE '13 Proceeding of the 44th ACM technical symposium on Computer science education, 2013.
- Derek C. Schuurman,
"Technology Has a Message", Christian Educators Journal,
Volume 51, Number 3, February 2012, pp. 4-7.
(this article has since been translated into Portuguese under the title "Tecnologia tem uma Mensagem")
- Derek C. Schuurman and Arnold E. Sikkema, "Christian Engineering Education in Canada", 2011 Proceedings of the Christian Engineering Education Conference (CEEC), June 2011, pp. 167-175.
- Bryan W. House, David W. Capson, Derek C. Schuurman, "Towards Real-Time Sorting of Recyclable Goods Using Support Vector Machines", Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology (ISSST), May 2011.
- US 5874818: Method and Apparatus For Sensing Load Current in a Motor Controller
- US 6215681: Bus Bar Heat Sink. See also: CA 2325148 (Canada), EP 1100294 (Europe), JP 2001267479 (Japan)
I teach (or have taught) the following courses:
Here are some tutorials and manuals related to teaching computer science.
- Technology and the Biblical Story, Bethel University convocation chapel talk, February 22, 2017.
- Transhumanism and the incarnation
- How can Christian universities flourish? and a follow-up article: On being ‘hospitably Reformed’
- Interview on the Relationship Between the Christian Faith and Technology, Associação Brasileira de Cristãos na Ciência, June 22, 2016.
- Seeing and Understanding, In All Things, June 15, 2016.
- Technology and the Church, God and Nature Magazine, Fall 2015.
- The Rapture of the Geeks, In All Things, November 5, 2015.
- The Meaning of Technology, InterVarsity's Emerging Scholars Blog, July 24, 2015.
- A radio interview on "Karl and June" broadcast February 27, 2015 on Moody Radio, 90.1 FM in Chicago.
- A TV interview broadcast on 100 Huntley Street, October 29, 2014.
- An interview broadcast on January 31, 2014 on WORD FM in Pittsburgh.
- An interview (part 1 and part 2) with KSIV St. Louis, MO, "Encounter" broadcast August 21, 2013. (note: this is made available on the condition that it may not be sold in any part for profit).
- A radio interview broadcast on July 9, 2013 on WLQV Faith Talk 1500 in Detroit.
- Your Faith and Your Devices, ClearView CRC, October 26, 2014.
- Some articles published at "In All Things".
- Ham Radio and Electronics
- Some of my simple web applications
- Some recommended books
- Some of my digital photography of the great outdoors
- Crossing Signs my family and I have collected on our travels
- My blog entry on why I like open source software
- Redeemer's solar panel status and power output