Dr. Schuurman will be away on a leave of absence starting July 1, 2015 and returning after May 2016 during which time he will be at Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa.
Dr. Schuurman spent several years working in industry before returning to academia. He enjoys teaching and pursuing his research interests in the area of robotics and computer vision. His interest in computers began in his early teens with his first computer, a Timex-Sinclair ZX-81. He is also interested in the bigger picture (metaphorically, not in the number of pixels sense) and the various issues related to faith and computer technology. He is author of the recent book Shaping a Digital World and is available to speak to groups as time allows.
- B.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
- M.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
Thesis topic: Dynamic modelling of an EV traction application using different DC motors
- Ph.D., McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Thesis topic: Direct visual servoing using network-synchronized cameras
Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) in the province of Ontario.
Research interests include robotics and computer vision as well as faith and technology issues. Professional memberships include: IEEE, ACMS, SIGCSE, CSCA, and the ASA. See also the Christian Engineering Society.
I am currently serving as a book review editor for Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith covering topics on computers, engineering, and technology.
Some recent publications are listed below, but a more extensive list of publications and presentations are also available.Books
- Derek C. Schuurman, Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology, InterVarsity Press, June 2013. (companion website).
- R.S. Ramshaw and D.C. Schuurman, PSpice Simulation of Power-Electronics Circuits, Springer, 1997. (companion website)
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Approaches to Christian Education: From Elusive Towards a Larger and Deeper Approach", Pro Rege, Vol. 44, No. 3, March, 2016, pp. 14-20.
- Steven H. VanderLeest and Derek C. Schuurman, "A Christian Perspective on Artificial Intelligence: How Should Christians Think about Thinking Machines?", Proceedings of the 2015 Christian Engineering Conference (CEC), Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA, June 2015, pp. 91-107.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Introducing Open Source and the Raspberry Pi to Schools in Developing Nations", Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Volume 67, Number 1, March 2015, pp. 50-53.
Derek C. Schuurman, "Step-by-step design and simulation of a simple CPU architecture", SIGCSE '13 Proceeding of the 44th ACM technical symposium on Computer science education, 2013.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Technology Has a Message", Christian Educators Journal, Volume 51, Number 3, February 2012, pp. 4-7.
- Derek C. Schuurman and Arnold E. Sikkema, "Christian Engineering Education in Canada", 2011 Proceedings of the Christian Engineering Education Conference (CEEC), June 2011, pp. 167-175.
- Bryan W. House*, David W. Capson, Derek C. Schuurman, "Towards Real-Time Sorting of Recyclable Goods Using Support Vector Machines", Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology (ISSST), May 2011.
- Michael Nawrocky*, Derek C. Schuurman, and Jeff Fortuna, "Visual Sorting of Recyclable Goods Using a Support Vector Machine", Proceedings of the IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), May 2010.
- Fang Zhong*, David W. Capson, Derek C. Schuurman, "Parallel Architecture for PCA Image Feature Detection Using FPGA", Proceedings of the IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), May 2008, pp. 1341-1344.
- A. Smit* and D.C. Schuurman, "Robust Subspace Position Measurement Using Localized Sub-Windows", Proceedings of the Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision, May 2007, pp. 282-288.
- D.C. Schuurman,"Forming a Christian View of Computer Technology",
Journal of the Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences (ACMS), December 2007.
(this article has since been translated into Spanish under the title "Formando una Visión Cristiana de la Tecnología Informática" and Portuguese under the title "Formando uma Visão Cristã da Tecnologia Computacional")
* Denotes students that I have (co-)supervised.Patents
- US 5874818: Method and Apparatus For Sensing Load Current in a Motor Controller
- US 6215681: Bus Bar Heat Sink. See also: CA 2325148 (Canada), EP 1100294 (Europe), JP 2001267479 (Japan)
I teach (or have taught) the following courses:
Here are some tutorials and manuals related to teaching computer science.
- Technology and the Church, God and Nature Magazine, Fall 2015.
- The Rapture of the Geeks, In All Things, November 5, 2015.
- The Meaning of Technology, InterVarsity's Emerging Scholars Blog, July 24, 2015.
- A radio interview on "Karl and June" broadcast February 27, 2015 on Moody Radio, 90.1 FM in Chicago.
- A TV interview broadcast on 100 Huntley Street, October 29, 2014.
- An interview broadcast on January 31, 2014 on WORD FM in Pittsburgh.
- An interview (part 1 and part 2) with KSIV St. Louis, MO, "Encounter" broadcast August 21, 2013. (note: this is made available on the condition that it may not be sold in any part for profit).
- A radio interview broadcast on July 9, 2013 on WLQV Faith Talk 1500 in Detroit.
- Your Faith and Your Devices, ClearView CRC, October 26, 2014.
- Ham Radio and Electronics
- Some of my simple web applications
- Some recommended books
- Some of my digital photography of the great outdoors
- Crossing Signs my family and I have collected on our travels
- My blog entry on why I like open source software
- Redeemer's solar panel status and power output